If you are wondering how to lose weight fast, it’s important to understand that it’s not going to be possible for you to shed 20 kilos overnight. It is going to take concerted effort and perseverance to get rid of that excess fat. The other aspect to take into consideration here is, this weight loss should not be temporary. Your focus should be on getting into a regimen that is sustainable and one that will keep you healthy too.
Some Weight Loss Tips
Crash diets do not work and will only put you into “yo-yo” mode wherein you will start putting on weight once you stop your fad diet. Here are some tips that will help you lose those kilos and keep them off
- Weight Loss Target– First ascertain how much weight you have to lose. Do not set a goal without understanding whether it’s healthy to lose a certain amount of weight. Use reliable weight calculation methods such as BMI etc, identify how many kilos overweight you are and then set your weight loss target
- Calorie Reduction– Avoid all fatty foods- try to eat foods that have no oil or minimal oil and ensure that the meats you eat have no fat in them. Add fresh foods and veggies to your diet; start focusing on replacing all processed foods with fresh ones and opt for fat burning foods like cereal breakfasts against oil-heavy ones like parathas etc
- Increase Water Intake & Cut Salt – The recommendation is that you should consume a minimum of 6-8 glasses of water every day. This adds to the feeling of fullness and reduces food cravings. On a particularly hot day, it’s important to increase your intake of water and cut consumption. Excess sodium leads to water retention
- Exercise– If someone has told you that you can lose weight in a healthy manner without any exercise- please forget it. The fact is that there are no shortcuts to weight loss. You will have to allocate some time to exercise. In this respect, time management becomes a very important factor. Plan your days properly and fit in at least 20-30 minutes of exercise into your day.
Ideally, your exercise routine should include cardio+ weight training. The idea is to increase your heart rate and tone your muscles. This will help you keep the weight off. Higher intensity exercises help you body burn fat and you lose belly fat much faster
- Stock-up On Healthy Foods– It’s crucial that you stock-up on fresh fruits and vegetables as well as other healthy foods. If you do not have these handy when the hunger pangs strike, you will be more inclined to reach for unhealthy packaged and processed foods. One of the best methods of losing weight the healthy way is to increase your consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Portion Size– This is very important. When you are reaching for foods , don’t reach for the biggest pieces on the serving plate. Even in your everyday meals, use smaller bowls and smaller spoons. Even if the portions are smaller, you will find yourself eating slower and will feel more satiated- this will discourage you from overeating
- Focus on Breakfast– It’s true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you skip it, your system moves into sluggish mode for the rest of the day. On the other hand, if you have a hearty and healthy breakfast, you will feel more energetic and your metabolism levels will stay higher right through the day. The more calories your system burns, the faster you lose weight
Get into Active Mode
Very importantly, get into active mode. Take the stairs and walk when you can, combat stress with yoga, deep breathing exercises etc. Choose your foods with care, chew your foods slowly, keep all snacks out of sight, eat homemade curd and simple oil-free snacks, avoid all sodas and sugary drinks and opt for green tea for weight loss, (even packaged fresh fruit juices have high sugar content – so stay away from those). It’s also very important to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep and think positive!!