Understanding which supplements are really essential for the body and which ones are no more than a lot of hype, can be extremely confusing. There will be “experts” who decidedly state that a particular nutrient is highly beneficial for a particular condition while you will find equally credible researchers stating with equal conviction that the same nutrient is nothing but a lot of hogwash.
Fact or Myth?
As a consumer, who should you believe and what should you finally consume? Those who are considering taking Omega 3 supplements are in a similar quandary and there is a slew of information related to it. Though the final decision you make should be based on your doctors medical advice, when it comes to Omega 3 supplements, there is overwhelming evidence about its benefits.
Health researchers across the world are conducting studies around it and most of the studies have reached the conclusion that increasing the total amount of Omega-3s in the diet, either from fish or flax decreases the risk of heart disease. It is a well-known fact that Omega-3 fatty acids that have been derived from marine sources are very beneficial to health.
How You Benefit
Now there is some new research which indicates that a certain plant-based Omega 3 fatty-acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is also highly-beneficial to the health. Let’s take a detailed look at its benefits:
- Protects from Air Pollution– Omega-3 fatty acids supplements offer effective protection against adverse cardiac & lipid effects that are associated with exposure to air pollution exposure. If you live in a city, this makes them highly beneficial to you
- Reduce Osteoarthritis Symptoms– A study conducted by the University of Bristol found that that Omega-3 fish oil significantly reduces the signs & symptoms of osteoarthritis. If you suffer from any kind of joint pain, the inflammation can be cut by 50% by consuming fish oil every day
- Reduce aging signs– Shortening of the DNA Telomere, in your chromosomes inhibits stem cell function & cellular regeneration and causes unhealthy aging. Now researchers have found that people who had coronary heart disease and consumed more fish-derived omega-3 acids, had longer telomeres
- Improve Fat Burning– Body fat stores, largely abdominal fat, is significantly reduced with the consumption of fish-oil. This has to be complemented by a certain amount of regular exercise as well
- Boost Brain Power & Memory– A positive association has now been found between the regular intake of fish oil supplements & cognitive functioning. Those who consume fish oil supplements on a regular basis have much higher levels of cognitive functioning and it also prevents brain shrinkage. If you want your brain to retain its memory & thinking abilities, add fish oil to your list of daily supplements
- Up Your Bone Health– DHA, the omega-3 fatty acid is very essential for maintaining optimal bone health. It is a vital constituent of maintaining bone mineral density and healthy bone modeling. Ensuring that you follow a regular strength training routine and take a fish oil supplement, helps in preventing osteoporosis
- Preserve Lean Muscle– Muscles are metabolically active and they burn calories even while you are asleep. Omega- 3 Fatty Acid prevents muscle-loss and helps in preserving lean muscle even when a person is dieting
Getting it Right
And so- Is There any Proven Benefit of Taking Omega3 Supplements? Yes there definitely is. As you can see, taking Omega-3 fatty acid supplements on a regular basis will help you maintain overall health. But it is important to understand that these are supplements and are not meant to be a replacement for foods. Maintaining good health is never about doing any one thing and foregoing another. It is important that you eat healthy and fresh food, follow a regular exercise routine and ensure that you get plenty of rest too.
But when you have a supplement like Omega- 3 fatty acid that provides you some all-round health benefits, it will give your health efforts a definite boost. Before you start taking any supplements, it’s also important to consult your doctor and follow the recommended dosage. Stay healthy and you will find that you are able to enjoy life in a much better way.