RSI can affect people for a variety of reasons. But studies indicate people who do desk jobs are more prone to it. It affects muscles, fascia, tendon and neuro-vascular structures, and typically occurs in upper portion of the body (neck, shoulders, arm, hand and wrist).
With increasing number of people being affected by RSI, we, Anand Parivar felt it is important to understand the methods by which one could prevent the onset of RSI. Here are the top 10 tips to adopt to prevent it, as provided by Karthik Ashok, the consultant physiotherapist at Anand Physiotherapy Centre and M S Ramaiah Memorial Hospital:
- Young mothers should avoid carrying their babies for a long time at a stretch. Keep changing the position of the baby and leave it down for sometime after every five minutes
- If you are a working person, ensure your desk is set up with ergonomics in mind. If not, you invest the time and money to do it yourself, especially if you are going to be at it all the while.
- Learn to sit in the right posture.
- These days there are many voice recognition software available. Consider investing in them. This could prevent RSI due to computer usage.
- There are many ergonomically designed chairs, tables, mouse, key boards available. Consider using them over the standard ones.
- Take regular breaks from work. We strongly advice you to get up from your chair once in 15 minutes, walk around for a couple of minutes and then get back to work. This also helps in giving a break to you than glaring at the screen all the while.
- Try to keep your feet flat on the floor as long as you are sitting
- Ensure your lower back is arched in. If possible, cushion it with a small pillow or bolster. If your chair is giving good enough support nothing like it.
- Relax you shoulders and arms on the sides.
- Your head should be well balanced on the spine to prevent the pressure on your neck.
Here is a useful video clip that explains how bad posture can create Repetitive stress injury over time and how taking care of correct posture when sitting before a computer can help prevents such issues.