Looking after your health is a lot about prevention. It simply means you should go for an annual medical and dental checkup. In addition to this, it’s important that you consume the right foods. Most naturally-occurring vegetables and fruits contain vitamins, antioxidants and minerals that help combat disease. In combination, these three nutrients are known as micronutrients; they help build immunity & protect against cancer.
However, certain plant foods have a number of other benefits apart from fighting cancer. Here are some top foods that experts recommend:
- Turmeric- This is one spice that every Indian household uses in its cooking. For centuries, it has also been used as a natural remedy for a number of ailments. As a matter of fact it has also used to heal war wounds. Turmeric contains curcumin- this antioxidant has anti-inflammatory properties and is highly beneficial for diseases such as arthritis & ulcerative colitis. it also has anticancer properties and Curcumin has shown a lot of promise in preventing & treating a range of cancers, including skin, prostate & breast cancer
- Garlic & Onions- They belong to the same plant family and both have a number of health benefits- Garlic has 70 active phytochemicals that may help reduce high blood pressure by almost 30 points. It also lowers rates of colorectal and ovarian as well as other cancers. Onions are a very good source of quercetin- this flavonoid helps keep your blood healthy & prevents clots.Both, garlic and onions help in allergy prevention. Garlic cloves can be crushed and added to different dishes. What’s interesting to note is that most of the nutrients in onion are in its skin and that is what we tend to discard. These can be washed and allowed to steep in sauces, curries or soups. Luckily, onions and garlic are easily available right round the year
- Fatty Fish- Fish like mackerel and salmon are superfoods in the true sense of the word and if you are a non-vegetarian, you should include these in your diet at least 3 times a week. Fish oil protects against heart disease and helps improve memory. It is currently being studied in Alzheimer’s patients. Fish oil is also beneficial for patients suffering from ulcerative colitis, and helps in making the disease less painful. It also reduces relapses in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn’s
- Ginger- This root is widely used in Indian cooking. It’s a very effective antidote for queasiness and helps keep cholesterol levels under control. It also lowers blood pressure and eases inflammation that is related to arthritis. It helps kill the influenza virus and builds the immune system. Recent studies have shown that ginger extract also significantly reduces pain that is related to knee osteoarthritis
- Spinach- It has high concentrations of beta carotene and lutein which makes it a nutritional powerhouse. It is a great source of minerals and vitamins which help in keeping the immune system in good shape. It helps in protecting you from disease and is excellent for the eyes
- Citrus Fruits- They contain almost 200 cancer-fighting compounds, inflammation-lowering flavonoids and cholesterol-lowering fiber. Studies have shown that consuming a large serving of citrus fruits everyday lowers the risk of throat, mouth, and stomach and throat cancer by upto 50%. turkmenistan Grapefruits have very high lycopene content- this is a cancer-fighter that is also found in tomatoesIt’s best to consume citrus fruits whole instead of in juice form as this help you get the fiber content too. Rinds also have a number of healthy compounds and you can use tangerine, lemon and orange zest in your cooking
- Tomatoes- Tomatoes also have anticancer benefits- they have an antioxidant called lycopene which has shown to protect against prostate cancer in some trials. Lycopene also has a very distinctive sunscreen effect which helps correct the damage that UV exposure causes- it helps prevent skin cancer and premature skin aging. Recent studies have shown that it also helps prevent osteoporosis as it provides protection against brittle bones
Include these easily available foods in your daily diet and help your body fight diseases the natural way.