You will hear health experts tell you how breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you ask your doctor, he/she will tell you the same. There is no doubt about the fact that having a healthy breakfast is important as it gives your body the fuel to start the day in an energetic manner.
Cereals are a healthy breakfast choice for a busy person, but it can be quite monotonous to eat oats, muesli, porridge and cereals for breakfast every single day. So on those days when you have a little more time, why not try to add variety to your breakfast? Here are the top healthy breakfast choices for the busy person:
- Multi-Grain Sandwiches– Sandwiches do not have to be high calorie. Just replace the white bread with Brown or Multi-Grain bread, drop the cheese and salami, add extra veggies or boiled eggs and you have a wholesome, nutritious and 100% healthy breakfast option. You can get creative and add mushrooms etc for variety
- Dosa- As long as you have the batter ready, dosas take only a few minutes to make. You can opt for whole wheat dosas or even ones made of multiple lentils instead of rice. Pre-mixed batter is easily available at most grocery stores nowadays and you can make a healthy and tasty breakfast within the shortest time
- Idlis– These are rich with minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates and what’s important is that they have no oil or spices. This makes them a very healthy breakfast option. These can be steamed the previous day and stored in the refrigerator. All you have to do is heat them up in the microwave and you have a quick and healthy breakfast
- Upma– This is one more healthy breakfast dish that can be made in a hurry. It takes barely 10 minutes to make and adding a few veggies makes it nutritious and filling. It is the perfect blend of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and iron
- Poha– Flattened rice flakes can be turned into a traditional and delicious breakfast. Use minimal oil, add some fresh vegetables such as peas and cook it in a non-stick pan for a quick and healthy breakfast
- Sabudana Kichdi– This is a very energizing and healthy breakfast choice that is light on the tummy. The carbohydrates and starch in it help you jumpstart your day. It also has peanuts that give you natural oils and protein. This dish has very low fat content and is easy to digest
- Indian-style Eggs: Eggs can be consumed in a number of ways. They are easy and quick to make. You can boil, scramble, turn them into an omelette or cook a spicy “burji” and use it as an accompaniment with brown or multi-grain bread
- Khakra– This is an ultra-light breakfast option. It is a thin, crisp roti-like preparation that is available at most provision and savoury stores. You can also opt for diet khakras and have them with a bowlful of curd and chutney for a spicy and delectable breakfast
- Daliya– This is a healthy and light dish that can be used as a breakfast option. Daliya is unrefined wheat and is packed with fibre and complex carbohydrates. Add a few dryfruits and nuts and turn it into tasty dish that will get you going for the day
As you can see, for a person who is determined to eat healthy, there is no dearth of healthy breakfast choices. Once you get used to eating right you will begin wondering what had made you opt for unhealthy options. Eating healthy does not have to be a chore or even a bore. Just make a little effort, plan your shopping right and ensure that you have some healthy foods in the refrigerator.
Make sure you have brown or multi-grain bread in the house, plenty of cereals in the kitchen cabinets, low-fat milk and plenty of fruit too. And so, even if you are super busy and find that you have no time to rustle up a breakfast, you can still glug a glassful of milk, grab a few almonds or an apple and start your day on a healthy note.